This surgical discipline, called Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, is also referred to as “Plastic Surgery” or “Aesthetic Surgery”. It is addressed in media rather with aesthetic surgery operations and practices. In fact, aesthetic surgery procedures are just the tip of the iceberg in Plastic Surgery. Aesthetic surgery procedures account for 10-20% of Plastic Surgery practices.
Plastic Surgery practices can be addressed under titles of hand surgery, reconstructive surgery, maxillofacial surgery, orthognathic surgery, head-neck and skin tumor surgeries, treatment of congenital hand and face anomalies, cleft lip-palate, craniofacial surgery, acute-chronic wound treatment and tissue transplantations (graft and flap surgery).
Considering the requests and the surgeries, number of facial aesthetic, nasal aesthetic, abdominal aesthetic and breast aesthetic surgeries increases quickly in our country. Although liposuction-lipectomy is the most common aesthetic surgery performed worldwide, rhinoplasty is the most common one in our country. Hair transplant procedure is an aesthetic surgery that is ever increasingly performed in our country due to patient comfort and successful outcomes. Genital aesthetic is also gaining popularity, as patient awareness increases and promising outcomes are obtained along with the fact that those conditions are treatable.
What You Should Take Into Consideration in an Aesthetic Surgery
- Aesthetic surgery operations are mostly performed without any medical emergency; they are elective surgeries that are decided through a discussion between the physician and the doctor. Patients also have a misperception that those surgeries are not associated with any risk. Surgery- or anesthesia-related complication risks exist, although they are far lower relative to other surgeries. Therefore, aesthetic surgeries should also be regarded as an ordinary surgery. These issues should be discussed in detail with the doctor.
- Aesthetic surgery operations are requested rather for body comfort, feeling well, improved self-reliance and happiness; they should be performed at hospital with all required equipment and a healthcare team at appropriate operating theater conditions.
- The surgeries that are offered at very low prices relative to average charges require attention. Patients should ask details and identities of the materials placed into the body, such as implant and prosthesis, to their doctors. The products that are approved and subject to audits should be used.
- Visible scars are unwanted results in aesthetic surgeries, but it is necessary to keep in mind that everybody has a unique wound healing capacity. Since plastic surgery is a discipline that deals with beauty and aesthetics, people rightfully request minimal or no incision scar. “Stitching with laser” is one of the misperceptions that are most commonly expressed. Laser beams are usually used for destruction and skin peeling. In other words, they do not have any “stitching” feature. What patients imply with stitching with laser is a type of suture that is placed through the subcutaneous tissue, cannot be seen by others and that are not removed, as they are absorbed by the body. Plastic surgeons use a partial illusion in aesthetic surgeries by placing the sutures gently, camouflaging the stitches, trying to place stitches on skin folds or other body parts that are not easily seen by others. For example, an intranasal approach is used for nasal surgeries; no scar is seen on the skin. If the incision is made behind the ear for prominent ear surgeries, the incision scar cannot be directly seen. Sutures are placed around the areola and the skin folds between the breast tissue and the chest wall in breast aesthetic surgeries in order to ensure that the scars are tolerable and they are camouflaged to the maximum extent.
Diagnosis and Treatment Services in Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department
Department of Aesthetic Surgery primarily deals with surgical treatment of congenital or acquired deformations secondary to accident or disease and aesthetic surgeries. The aesthetic surgeries most commonly performed are as follows: Rhinoplasty, Breast Reduction and Augmentation, Facelift, Filling Materials, Liposuction-Lipectomy and Abdominoplasty.
In the field of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, hand surgery, reconstructive microsurgery, maxillofacial surgery, orthognathic surgery, head-neck and skin tumor surgeries, treatment of congenital hand and face anomalies, cleft lip-palate, craniofacial surgery, acute-chronic wound treatment and tissue transplantations (graft and flap surgery) are performed.
Services available in Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department
- Breast Aesthetics
- Nose Job (Rhinoplasty)
- Tummy Tuck – Abdominoplasty
- Liposuction (regional fat removal)
- Face and Eyelid Aesthetics (Orthognathic Surgery)
- Ear and Jaw Aesthetic (Orthognathic Surgery)
- Genital Aesthetic
- Correction of Gynecomastia (Breast Aesthetic for Males)
- Leg and Hip Aesthetic
- Arm Lift
- Hair Transplant
- Face and Hand Rejuvenation
- Laser Procedures
- Maxillofacial Trauma Surgery
- Head & Neck Tumor Surgery
- Hand Surgery and Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Cleft Lip-Palate Surgery
- Burn and Chronic Wound Surgery
- Skin Tumor Surgery